8/18/17

From ego lolita to eco lolita



So what I mean with ego lolita and eco lolita. Well lately I have been thinking more about ecological things in fashion. Especially lolita fashion tends to be style that use lot of nature sources to make fancy clothes and accessories. And after just couple of using by customers they go to a trash. Well at least some lolitas use their accessories and clothes that way. I prefer to buy products with intention that I will be using them many times. Well of course recycling and secondhand is other way to make use of the items. But anyways I like it better when items doesn't go to trash just after couple uses.

Usually if asked why people like to buy stuff, use it once or couple times and then trash it, they say it's because they don't want to be seen on same clothes/ occasions that they can wear them are so rare that they don't want to put the same ones in next time too. I understand that many lolita pieces are something that aren't suitable for regular lolita life outfit eg.  deer horns with lot of jewelry and pearls and flowers and all and that's why they are more suitable to wear in (big) lolita events. Well I agree that those king of stuff doesn't belong to everyday lolita coord but it's still sad if somebody uses it only once and then trash it. Couldn't it be used many times? Maybe with different combo? Mix and match with other coords? At least it's nice to hear that they are sold to other lolitas with cheaper price which is good. That way the item doesn't go to trash. I know these are choices of life but sometimes I feel sad when I see beautiful stuff that is brand new and is in trash or secondhand store (And I'm not only talking about lolita fashion. This has been lately problem in every fashion).

EDIT: Because some of the people has misunderstood my point in this post I would like to clarify it little bit what I meant (Maybe my post was chaotic, sorry about that!) I know lolita and many subculture fashions are more eco friendly than main fashion and lolitas resell and trade much items but what I meant is that it's not 100% eco so here is always room to improve. We can't reduce waste from buying local products only can we because there is so few countries that has lolita shops, but eg. recycled and leftover materials are one way. Also what I meant with some people who uses items once or twice. I never meant all lolitas are like that I just meant there is some and at least around me it has been rising thing. Maybe it's only local thing (at least I hope so!). EDIT

So I have thought how I could improve this thing even little bit. And I know some of you may have noticed that I try to use recycled materials in my creations when possible in www.chiringo.fi What it means? Well, there is clothes and jewellery that are made from left over fabrics or recycled items.

Example of these kind of leftover fabrics are in my Violet dream dress. (This dress was also in Looking for Alice lolita event's fashion show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAmmwV2GL-M). This dress is made from fabric that was meant to be seat cover fabric. In manufacturing the fabric is cut in right sized pieces and left over fabric is going to be trashed even though it's still good to use. It's not wrinkled, dirty or old. It's just leftovers. So when I got change to get this fabric I wanted to experience it little bit. Turns out it's useful for sewing dresses. Also it came up with couple good points: Because it was meant to be cover for seats it doesn't burn easily or get dirty. And what could be nicer for lolita than a dress that has better dirty resistance than usually clothes have?


Other example of recycling is how I transform old stuff to new form. Golden flower necklace is made from old candle holder's pieces. Didn't notice? Well that is to my opinion best way to use recycled materials. Actually old candle holders are my favourite items to recycle. You wouldn't expect to make jewellery out of them but once you trie it's fun (even without melting metal).

In my shop you can see these labels when product is somehow ecological (recycled = recycled materials, ecological = natural materials eg. wood):



I hope this kind of approach makes fashion industry more nature friendly. And at least when some of products are made from recycled materials they are nature friendly choices for lolitas that care about those kind of stuff. Also if you are lolita who likes to wear items once or twice, with these you can feel little bit better when they are made from recycled materials. Remember also people that others trash can be another's treasure! :D So trade and sell as much as you can your items that you don't want to use anymore! Lolita trade meetings are good for this!

No comments:

Post a Comment